Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Where is your pride?

Hi there.
I'm a little worked up today about one topic I am serious about and will not joke about nor take for granted. Remembrance day. I have always gone to a ceremony to take the time out to respect the men and women of my country who put their lives on the line to help in the fight to preserve and maintain our freedom. Many of you may have thoughts on this or comments and I welcome them be it on here or my fb page. I want to hear from as many of you as possible about this and what you feel about this one day out of the year we should have the freedom to go to a ceremony, watch it on TV or just do nothing at all in favor and respect of the fact we are free. My work has brought it upon themselves to have some of us, as many as they "forecast" are needed, to come in to work that day. Now, in the history of working, I can't recall at any time I've had to come in to work on Remembrance day because the places I've worked don't need us on that day and they respect that day for what it is. A holiday. A holiday to have off and pay respect and show that we care about what happened and why we're here today. Granted, I've been here for well over 7 years now and haven't had to work a Remembrance day until now. So why now? Is the company hurting? Do they "forecast" a huge loss if we are closed? Smaller companies will be closed that day and huge companies will be closed that day so why? Because our comepetitors are reported to be open that day? I recall an old saying my mother used to say all the time and I feel it fits here, "If they jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" It's a sorry excuse just to make more money if you ask me.
And ask me alone. These are strictly my views about what is being done to us on this holiday. Not anyone else's view at all.
So seriously, is the company going to fall if this day is missed making more money for them? Are they going to be on crutches sort to speak if we are closed. I highly doubt it. No company should be open and make their employees miss out on paying tribute to our country and the people that were lost or the people that are still with us to this day who go out in the cold and stand strong to remember what they did and for us to be there and show them we still remember and always will. Or will the corporate world be a huge part of phasing out this holiday once all are gone that were involved? It's a true shame to have to work on this day and I for one am not very happy that anyone should have to work it. Too bad the big wigs only see dollar signs and can't remember.......................



D.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, here we go. Both my parents fought in WWI in Great Britain as did two uncles. Remembrance Day has always been very special to me. My son-in-law is in the army and has been to Afghanistan as well as other places around the globe trying to bring world peace. I believe in an hour for services, but not a day. Afterall, how many of us spend the day remembring? Our troops certainly don't get a day, and many are lucky to get an hour. Too many of us fail to remember even when we have a day off. I believe if your company can't give you the day off, then they should at least have a remembrance service for all staff to attend. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete